There are several holidays that we can celebrate with our furry family members. Here is a list of those holidays and special months… will you celebrate with us?
Thank you to DogTipper.com for this awesome list of holidays!
- National Train Your Dog Month
- Walk Your Pet Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Bird Month.
- Jan. 2, 2013: National Pet Travel Safety Day.
- Jan. 14, 2013: National Dress Up Your Pet Day.
- Jan. 22, 2013: National Answer Your Cat’s Question Day.
- Jan. 24, 2013: Change a Pet’s Life Day.
- Spay/Neuter Awareness Month. (Humane Society of the United States)
- Pet Dental Health Month.
- Responsible Pet Owners Month.
- Responsible Animal Guardian Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Rabbit Month.
- National Prevent a Litter Month.
- Unchain a Dog Month.
- Feb. 7-14, 2013: Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week.
- Feb. 11-12, 2013: Westminster Kennel Club Annual Dog Show. Held at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, this event is televised.
- Feb. 14, 2013: Pet Theft Awareness Day.
- Feb. 17-23, 2013: National Justice for Animals Week.
- Feb. 20, 2013: Love Your Pet Day.
- Feb. 22, 2013: Walking the Dog Day.
- February 23, 2013: International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day.
- Feb. 26, 2013: World Spay Day. Annual campaign by the Humane Society International and The Humane Society of the United States; held the last Tuesday of February.
- Poison Prevention Awareness Month.
- Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month.
- March 2, 2013: Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race begins. Called “The Last Great Race on Earth,” this grueling race travels along a path that alternates between two paths, changing in even and odd years. The race crosses two mountain ranges in conditions that range from 30 degrees above to 30 degrees below zero.
- March 3, 2013: If Pets Had Thumbs Day.
- March 3-9, 2013: Professional Pet Sitters Week.
- March 7-10, 2013: Crufts. Held in Birmingham, England, this is the world’s largest dog show, featuring nearly 28,000 canines in its four days.
- March 17-23, 2013: National Poison Prevention Week.
- March 23:National Puppy Day. The Animal Miracle Foundation sponsors this annual event that encourage dog lovers to adopt from a shelter.
- National Pet First Aid Awareness Month. This event is an effort by the American Red Cross to draw attention to the need to know specialized pet first aid.
- Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month. (ASCPA)
- April 7-13, 2013: Animal Control Officer Appreciation Week.
- April 11, 2013: National Pet Day. From the Animal Miracle Network, this day honors our furry friends.
- April 18, 2013: Pet Owners Independence Day.
- April 22, 2013: Earth Day
- Third week in April. Animal Cruelty/Human Violence Awareness Week. An effort by the Humane Society of the United States.
- Third week in April. National Pet ID Week.
- April 26, 2013: National Kids and Pets Day. From the Animal Miracle Network, this day celebrates the special bond between children and pets.
- late April: World Veterinary Day. This event from the World Veterinary Association is always celebrated on the last Saturday in April.
- April 27, 2013: Hairball Awareness Day.
- National Pet Month
- Chip Your Pet Month.
- National Service Dog Eye Examination Month. The American College of Veterinary Optholmologists hosts this annual event when over 200 veterinary optholmologists donate their services to provide eye exams to service dogs in the US and Canada.
- May 5-11, 2013: American Humane’s Be Kind to Animals Week. This week-long event has been celebrated since 1915. Always the first full week of May.
- May 5-11, 2013: National Pet Week. Always held the first full week of May by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- May 6-12 2013: Puppy Mill Action Week. An initiative of the HSUS, this week is always scheduled to begin the Monday before Mother’s Day.
- Second Saturday in May. Animal Disaster Preparedness Day.
- May 16-19, 2013: World Dog Show Hungary. This large show is hosted by a different county every year.
- May 29-25, 2013: Dog Bite Prevention Week. This event by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) along with the United States Post Office (USPS) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) focuses attention on preventing dog bites.
- Adopt-a-Cat Month®. From the American Humane Association.
- Adopt-a-Shelter-Cat Month. From the ASPCA.
- National Pet Preparedness Month. This month, timed for the first month of hurricane season, urges people with pets to make preparations in case they should be hit by a disaster…and that includes making plans for what you would do with your dog in case of a hurricane, tornado, flood or other natural disaster.
- June 4, 2013: Hug Your Cat Day.
- 1st week in June. Pet Appreciation Week.
- June 10, 2013: World Pet Memorial Day.
- mid-June: Animal Rights Awareness Week.
- June 21, 2013: Take Your Dog to Work Day.
- June 21, 2013: National Dog Party Day.
- Dog House Repairs Month
- July 4: Independence Day. This US holiday is no holiday for dogs; the sounds of fireworks causes many dogs to panic and run, resulting in many lost dogs every year.
- July 15, 2013: National Pet Fire Safety Day. Sponsored by the The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC), ADT Security Services and the American Kennel Club® (AKC).
- July 31, 2013: Mutt’s Day
- Aug. 1: DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter Dogs. The North Shore Animal League America, the world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, declared August 1 as a birthday for all the shelter animals whose birthdays are unknown. Happy DOGust!!
- Aug. 5: Work Like a Dog Day.
- Aug. 4-10, 2013: International Assistance Dog Week.
- Aug. 17, 2013: International Homeless Animals’ Day. From the International Society for Animal Rights.
- Late August. Pet Fashion Week. Similar to the human Fashion Week, this week flaunts the latest fashion…on four legs. Held at the Metropolitan Pavilion in New York City.
- Aug. 26, 2013: National Dog Day. From the Animal Miracle Network, National Dog Day celebrates shelter dogs.
- Aug. 30. National Holistic Pet Day.
- National Disaster Preparedness Month. Led by FEMA’s Ready Campaign, Citizen Corps and The Advertising Council, this effort encourages individuals, families, businesses and communities to work together and take action to prepare for emergencies. Visit Ready.gov and CitizenCorps.gov.
- Second Sunday in September. National Pet Memorial Day. Established by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries (IAPC).
- 4th week in September: National Dog Week.
- Last full week in September. Deaf Pet Awareness Week. By Petfinder.com.
- Sept. 23, 2013: Dogs in Politics Day (also known as Checkers Day). Recognizing the dogs of politicians.
- Sept. 28, 2013: World Rabies Day. Sponsored by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control.
- Adopt-A-Dog Month®. By American Humane Association.
- Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month. By ASPCA.
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month. By Emergency Animal Rescue Service.
- National Pet Wellness Month.
- 1st Week of October. National Walk Your Dog Week.
- October 4: World Pets’ Day
- 1st Week of October. Animal Welfare Week (AVMA)
- mid-October: National Veterinary Technician Week. Sponsored by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians of America.
- Oct. 16, 2013: National Feral Cat Day.
- Late October. National Pit Bull Awareness Day.
- Oct. 28, 2013: Plush Animal Lovers Day. A day that most dogs will be happy to celebrate…as they unstuff them…
- Adopt a Senior Dog Month. By ASPCA.
- National Pet Awareness Month.
- National Senior Pet Month.
- Pet Cancer Awareness Month.
- Pet Diabetes Month.
- National Dog Show. Always broadcast in the US on Thanksgiving, this event is held at The Greater Reading Expo Center in Reading, Pennsylvania and is hosted by the Kennel Club of Philadelphia. Sanctioned by the American Kennel Club, the event features 2,000 dogs.
- Nov. 3-9, 2013: National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. by The Humane Society of the United States.
- Nov. 17, 2013: National Take a Hike Day.
- Nov. 17: National Black Cat Day.
- Dec. 2, 2013: National Mutt Day. This special event by the Animal Miracle Foundation celebrates the mixed breed dogs in shelters across the US and hopes to place 10,000 dogs!
- Dec. 14-15, 2013: AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Dog Show. This show features almost 3,000 dogs from across the US as well as 70 other countries.